Carlsberg has already, in various guises closed a lot of big breweries. Tetley Walker at Warrington - and that was a big brewery - Joshua Tetley in Leeds - ditto, Banks' in Wolverhampton and now the last large cask brewery in Burton on Trent, Marstons.
The intent of this blog isn't to wonder and postulate as to why this has happened, but to have a look at the consequences. Suffice it to say that you get into the lion's cage with one of the big boys, expect to be eaten.
Carlsberg says “As part of the proposal, we are also considering the long-term future of a number of traditional ale brands currently produced at our Burton upon Trent brewery. We recognise the importance of the traditional ale brands associated with Burton upon Trent and the loyalty they inspire among consumers, publicans and communities. While no final decisions have been made, we are in active engagement with potential partners with the aim of finding suitable long-term custodians who can give these brands the specialist focus and dedicated stewardship they deserve. This proposal does not mean that Carlsberg Britvic is withdrawing from ale. We will continue to sell and support ale brands including Hobgoblin, McEwan’s and Brooklyn, and remain committed to the UK beer and pub sector.”
Mealy mouthed words. In the UK, Carlsberg is mainly a lager company first and soft drinks next. Ale is very much an afterthought.
In a letter to CAMRA Chairman, Ash Corbett-Collins - a native of Burton, Carlsberg said " We do not underestimate the brewery’s significance to the town and those who care deeply about Burton upon Trent’s brewing heritage. While it is too early to confirm specific plans for the future of the site, we understand its importance to Burton upon Trent and will give careful consideration to its heritage assets and place within the local community.
That probably just means they won't knock down the brewhouse, just sell it, allowing it to be converted into posh flats!
But it seems that Carlsberg will consider transferring the brands it will no longer brew to others. I suppose these brands will be at a guess, Banks's, Courage, Brakspear, Ringwood, Eagle (Waggledance etc.), Tetley and I suppose the Marstons brands such as Pedigree. The big questions is who would want them and who has the capacity to brew them? Is there really much appeal when the brands are twice or more removed from their former heartlands?
So what is the shortlist for Bass? The list isn't that long assuming the volumes are correct:
Camerons in Hartlepool is a possibility, with a capacity of around 150, 000 barrels a year. They already have the contract to brew Doom Bar and brew other lines for Carlsberg already I believe.
Greene King who have the current capacity, but are moving their brewing to a new site, where the capacity is vastly reduced. Seems an unlikely candidate.
Asahi. The Fullers Brewery could maybe, just about squeeze Bass in, but it would take them to the limit,so unlikely.
Damm in Bedford. A bit of an outsider. I don't know what their new cask ale facility for the Speckled Hen brands can handle.
Any of these would have to heavily Burtonise their water to mirror the original. Maybe not such a big ask,but who knows?
There may be others, but it is hard to see who they are, though an outsider might be Molson Coors who would need to instal a cask racking line. Maybe the one from Marstons? That would solve the water problem, but again is it really likely?
We shall have to wait and see, but it may well be that the Bass revival is coming to an unexpected end. There are huge problems arising from this brewery closure and the ripples for cask brewing in the UK will continue for a while until decisions are made.
In the meantime I suggest you get out and drink Burton Brewed Draught Bass while you still can. Its days may be numbered.
Of course it leaves Marstons PLC, the pub company, with a problem too. Who is going to brew their brands? I assume there is a supply agreement with Carlsberg. I bet the lawyers are on that case already.
On the above note, I can't remember when I last saw Pedigree on a bar. The figures for output at Burton are vague.
And finally, will this present an opportunity for small brewers to get stuff on the bar? Err. No.




15 comments:
An absolute massive site, especially if you include the Sports and Social Club and the playing fields. Sits between industrial and housing so valuable. The offices were so atmospheric. Not a surprise though. One of Wolverhampton or Burton would go, but I never thought both. They don’t want cask obviously. Soft drinks first then lager and that’s it. Sad days for the staff
Marstons managed pubs have been dropping real ale en-masse in the last few years, I wouldn’t be surprised if they try to switch most of the remaining cask lines to fresh ale
I quite like the fresh ale. It seems more reliable as regards quality.
I only ever see Marstons in one of their pubs, which I never really go to anyway
Why do various beer commentators keep going on about Bass like it is some in joke? I don't get it. It's not even a good beer. It's certainly not as good as it was many moons ago. If they stopped brewing it would not be a loss.
There is a great deal of fondness and nostalgia admittedly, but actually it is very good beer.
There's Wainwright as well – which was going through a bit of Hobgoblin-style brand extension the last I saw – and, at least in theory, Lancaster Bomber, which went to Marston's along with Wainwright. (IDK when I last saw that one on a bar, though. Shame, when it was really Bomber more than Wainwright that was Thwaites' flagship beer.) (Which reminds me - what was the mid-range beer they used to sell on cask, with a green pump clip, in between Bitter (red) and LB (blue)? I guess it eventually turned into Wainwright, but it certainly wasn't called that back then.)
There's an independent pub a few miles from me that almost always has Marstons on the bar. But other than that I've not seen it in many pubs other than Marstons ones for some time. That however may simply reflect the kinds of pubs I go into. In them, smaller breweries tend to predominate.
Wainwright on the other hand has seemed to be getting everywhere of late - I assumed someone was really pushing it in all its forms. Maybe their plan there will simply be to ditch the cask version and move everything to fresh ale.
You mention sites that could brew the current Bass volume. Is it not viable for someone to brew Bass at a lower volume to keep it alive?
Brakspear production has already moved to the Hog's Back Brewery. I wonder if Young's might return to Bedford? https://brakspear.co.uk/brakspear-beer-begins-new-chapter-with-hogs-back-brewery-partnership/
That's upto the brand's owners AB Inbev who focus on high volume beers.
I'm surprised Carlsberg did not mention Wainwright in its announcement. Either it has a buyer lined up or it just felt it couldn't mention every brand. Wainwright's certainly worth more than Pedigree or Directors these days.
Always good to see you back in the beer blog game, fella.
A couple of salient points. Both the Morning Advertiser and Drinks Business articles on this mention cask volumes are down 50% since COVID.
No amount of positive spin articles claiming the yooth are choosing cask can mask that and in business that's got to close breweries making the stuff.
The category is in it's death throws as a mass produced product and becoming a niche product brewed by small scale enthusiasts.
Secondly, whilst I rate many of these national brand best bitters as pretty decent, most CAMRAs don't. Most beer campaigners would turn their nose up at a hobgoblin and favour a micro brewed obscurity. That's fine, but they can't complain about products dying if they don't drink them. You appear an exception in drinking the local regional beers. Many CAMRAs even sneer at those.
The CAMRAs are getting what they want. Schumachers Small is Beautiful. Ya'll should be celebrating not complaining.
Oh and on Bass. It's a decent pint of bitter. It's more than a beer. It's a brand. Possibly one of the few cask brands trusted and liked as much as Guinness. A beer with a genuine enthusiast following that seek it out. Hope it stays in Burton as its heritage really is it's value.
I agree with most of this. An uptick identified for the younger demographic holds some promise, but the chipping away of cask as a mass market product seems remorseless.
Post a Comment