Poorly written and rambling, with some fairly obvious truths hidden in there. The story of the chap who wilfully broke his tie and was then surprised to be evicted is simply bizarre.
A bit rambling yes and there is only one winner in the Pub Co game. The guy here just made a certain loss, even more easy for the Pub Co.
The obvious truths may be obvious to you and me, but to how many others who aren't involved with this business one way or another? The Pub Cos need to be exposed as the villains they usually are.
Stonch, the article is rambling and does tackle some issues in a less than eloquent way. It's difficult reading, but your need to persevere. That's difficult to do when you are a busy licensee.
But you need to read deeper, it's the pubco's properties that are surviving, and this plays right into your argument.
Only 13% of pubs closing are owned by major pubco's.
Over 50% are freehouses.
I think that the tie does represent a problem, but it is not all evil either.
The real problem here is pubs closing. Releasing the tie won't help that. I'm not sure that anything will and that's what we might need to accept.
What a long standing lessee does when his lease is worthless is a problem. He plays the game most of the time, starts to try a bit of skulduggery ‘cause he’s got no choice, gets caught out, fair cop I agree but the pubco won’t loose. Go out in a coffin? I’m bloody sure I would!
Only 13% of pubs closing are owned by major pubco's. Over 50% are freehouses."
I'd take these figures with a pinch of salt as clearly it isn't in their interest to accept any blame. I would be very interested in looking at any real data they could produce. Having carefully tracked pub closures locally, I can say that 100% of those closed in the last 5yrs were tied. That's not to say that freehouses can't and don't close but those are the facts.
I find this business of 50% of pubs closing are free houses a bit hard to swallow. How are these figures compiled? What constitutes a free house? If you own the bricks and mortar and can't make a good fist of it, well I am shocked, though of course some will fail.
All around here there are closed and boarded pubs. All as far as I know are all Pub Co pubs though one or two are Lees. Maybe they can still find the mugs to run them, but surely that rich seam will soon dry up - once they have milked the last out of this recession's redundancy money that is.
I think people need to back their assertions up with arguments rather than simply bashing pubcos and the tied system.
In the case of the person referred to in that article, he'd deliberarely chosen to flout his contractual obligations, so on the face of it I don't have much sympathy anyway. We have to remember that pubs are businesses. Some people aren't cut out to run their own business - it requires imagination, competence and a degree of intelligence. The unsuitability of so many publicans for the job their doing is, I think, one of the major reasons why so many pubs are going under, but it seems one no-one's willing to speak up about.
Of course some CAMRA die-hards love the idea of old retired couples running musty, quiet pubs that haven't changed since the 70s, but the rest of the population rightly avoid such badly-run establishments, so they don't make any money.
"The unsuitability of so many publicans for the job their doing is, I think, one of the major reasons why so many pubs are going under, but it seems one no-one's willing to speak up about."
Absolutely. Exactly, 100% agreed. Why do PubCos contract so many unsuitable people then? You are changing the argument here by saying CAMRA die hards etc. CAMRA people like well run pubs better than most. We are more likely to get good beer there! A lot of people, me included feel the shake out is largely happening at the bottom end of the trade and you won't find many tears for them. But it isn't just the bottom of the trade that is suffering any more. The malaise is wider and deeper and the PubCos with their hugely indebted - sorry securitised - estates, have a lot of blame for the pressure even good pubs are feeling. That debt which occurred after the Beer Orders and has been added to with each buy out and PubCo merger is still there and being repaid by publicans. Who else can pay it?
This is a complex subject but it flies in the face of reality to suggest that the companies who own such a large percentage of British pubs have no blame in this and it is all the fault of stupid people who take on pubs. Oh and CAMRA members.
"The unsuitability of so many publicans for the job their doing is, I think, one of the major reasons why so many pubs are going under, but it seems one no-one's willing to speak up about."
That may account for some but not the majority, IMO. My personal experience tells me that it is long standing landlords throwing in the towel. People who have been running successful pubs for many years. When they go under, let's not be shy about naming the culprits. As TM says it's farcical to suggest that the owners of the majority of pubs in the UK aren't responsible to some great degree.
What amazes me is the sheer inflexibilty of companies supposedly interested in making money. There are landlords locally who wish to hold beer festivals to boost their trade. Something that you would think would benefit all concerned. However, Enterprise won't allow it. And then they wonder people are sceptical about their role in the pub trade.
I agree with the Woolpack Inn's straightforward comment: "There is less money than ever being spent in pubs - that's why they are closing". So why are people spending less? I think the answers are rather obvious: beer price rises well above inflation; inflation well above wage rises; increasing job insecurity. The problems of the tie have been thoroughly covered before, but it is clear that in the present deteriorating economic climate with a recession on the way, many businesses are struggling in general, not just in the pub trade.
The mandatory sideswipe at CAMRA members doesn't explain pub closures, and I don't actually know anyone (CAMRA member or otherwise) who wants "old retired couples running musty, quiet pubs that haven't changed since the 70s". Why would anyone?
We can expect worse as the long term effects of the credit crunch filter through to the pub trade. We have already seen this with Cains, where hard-working licensees and their staff lost their livelihoods with little notice, not because they were inefficient or broke the tie, and definitely not because CAMRA members went wandering around Merseyside in search of quiet, musty pubs operating in a time warp.
I am also suspicious about the figures, but I highlighted them to try and point out that Stonch was being, well kinda like he's accused tandleman of being on his own blog.
As for the price of beer and pub owners, I will have lots to say about this…..more coming.
Stonch, you clearly have a good city pub. Well done. But there are many not like yours. Lay off a bit eh?
Dave - Stonch makes a very important point about those who run pubs. Hospitality? Don't make me laugh. You are lucky to get a " hello" or "thanks" in most pubs, never mind an actual welcome. I'm out today and I'll report back on that aspect tomorrow to see how I've got on.
Oh and Stonch has his own way of doing things. It is all diversity in this game.
"You are lucky to get a " hello" or "thanks" in most pubs".
This is not my experience; you must be going to the wrong pubs. I'm not sure that busy bar staff have the time to give a full welcome to everyone who comes through the door to buy a pint, especially if it's 2 or 3 deep at the bar. I find most bar staff are polite at the least, and while I don't travel as far afield as you, I do get to a fair number of pubs in different towns.
Thanks Tandleman, I'm still learning to type comments, read them twice and then consider NOT hitting the "Publish your comment" button.
I guess everybody has different styles. I work best when authoring "long and rambling" posts rather than short, curt and abrupt replies.
At least Stonch keeps giving me ammunition for further posts, so I should be grateful really. Cheers Stonch!
I agree with the problems of hospitality, but you get what you pay for to some extent. If cheap beer results in the staff being paid less then they will be poorer quality staff.
"This is a complex subject but it flies in the face of reality to suggest that the companies who own such a large percentage of British pubs have no blame in this and it is all the fault of stupid people who take on pubs. Oh and CAMRA members."
Quite. Good job I said nothing of the sort, then!
To the landlord of the Woolpack Inn: I don't mean to upset you. I'm just expressing an opinion. I do recognise that other pubs are really struggling.
A bit of a CV. Tandleman is a veteran beer lover, local CAMRA Chairman and activist, beer writer, beer reviewer and pursuer of all things good in beer. He lives in the North West of England and London. Despite his CAMRA membership, he does not limit himself to cask conditioned beer, though he believes that cask conditioning, when done correctly and appropriately, brings a quality to beer that is hard to equal by any other kind of presentation. He is a strong supporter of Northern methods of beer dispense and avidly detests poorly presented beer and dislikes pasteurisation. He regularly visits Germany, has conducted corporate British and German beer tastings for CAMRA at the Great British Beer Festival where he has worked for years on Biere Sans Frontieres and was Deputy Organiser at CAMRA's very successful National Winter Ales Festival in 2009, 2010, 2011 and 2012 and at the Manchester Beer and Cider Festival from 2013 to date. He admires good brewers wherever they are and has travelled extensively in pursuit of good beer to drink. He also judges beer at both the International Beer Challenge and the World Beer Awards. This blog mentions specifics; pubs and beer, good and bad. The opinions will be forthright, but you can always disagree, just don't be offended. Comments from those mentioned are particularly welcome and a right of reply is hereby offered.
Rehydrate
-
Look, I'm absolutely not against the concept of non-alcoholic beers. It's
just that most of the specific ones I've drank have been so wide of the
mark that...
A WOMBWELL WOBBLE
-
August 2026. Wombwell. Greater Barnsley. “You’re weird” says Mrs RM, which
I’m taking as a compliment. A week after that foreign holiday in Wales, I’d
bare...
Off cruising again
-
Well for the second morning this week, we've woken to some much needed, and
very welcome rain. It’s still raining now, which is good news not just for
g...
Beer Scoring: Your Questions Answered (part 2)
-
Q: So CAMRA have changed their beer scoring system… A: That’s not a
question, but yes. (I talked about the old system in the previous post.)
The National B...
Going Medieval
-
*This week I made a last minute decision to attend an event at Brewers'
Hall*. I hadn't been planning to go but I had an urgent need to gossip it's
good ...
For The Keepsake of It
-
Usually, when Mrs V and I drive back to central Virginia from South
Carolina we stop at Olde Mecklenburg Brewing in Charlotte, mainly to swap
our my grow...
Humph
-
Humphrey Smith, owner of the Samuel Smith Old Brewery Tadcaster, has gone
to the great Employment Tribunal in the sky at the age of 81. The reaction
...
CROXLEY – APRIL 2026
-
Croxley — soporific and placid, it may be an idyllic place for a few sunny
pints, but it’s an abject failure for those drinkers seeking anything
approachin...
Golden Pints 2025
-
Happy new year everyone, and here are my Golden Pints of 2025. It’s been
another year in which I’ve drunk a lot of beer and been fortunate enough to
have...
Lion Brewery Co
-
Lion Brewery Co, London
Beer firmlionbreweryco.comActive since: 2021
The original Lion brewery opened beside the Thames in Lambeth in 1836. It
was bought...
Watering the workers’ beer
-
*I am the man, the very fat man That waters the workers’ beer And what do I
care if it makes them ill If it makes them terribly queer I’ve a car, a
...
Jaipur in the Sheffield Tap
-
My mum’s partner, George Marsh, died in August after a short battle with
pancreatic cancer. Born on Bassingham Fen, 11 miles southwest of Lincoln,
he ow...
Martyn Cornell
-
16 June 1952 – 01 June 2025 It is with great sadness I have to announce the
sudden passing of my brother Martyn. For those that wish to attend his
funera...
First day in Düsseldorf (Dec 13)
-
The TL;DR version of our day: We walked around Düsseldorf and drank beer.
You want more?
We convened at Uerige to make sure the beer had not changed overni...
Last night at the JT
-
*Yesterday evening, I went to the Jerusalem Tavern. It was the pub's last
night.*
The operators, St Peter's Brewery, haven't renewed their long lease, an...
On writing, especially beer writing
-
Just write, gather and then scatter the words, like throwing seeds about on
a field during the act of ploughing, a virtuous Piers-like act that is
labour...
Tiering Up
-
There’s a potential new regular in this evening, second visit to the pub.
Nice chap, moved back into the area recently, big on his beer, friendly and
chatt...
A final pint
-
My last blog post was a bit of a downer. I’ll try to cheer up on this one.
I seem to have created a theme of chronicling end of pubs. The travails of
the...
Cider with.....Ted and Janet
-
I don't know how we came to know Ted Jones and his wife Janet. It is almost
certain, I think, that the introductions were made by the late Rhys Jones
(no...
A Tale Of Two Weekends
-
The never ending tour of Manchester continues. With a lot of places either
still closed completely or not opening early in the week, it's easier to do
a ...
Hard Brewing Times in an Age of Coronavirus
-
“Part 1” (all disclaimers in that piece apply to this piece too) Such is
the state of flux that Covid-19 is having that between the time the working
day in...
Belfast – Merely Scratching The Surface
-
That picture isn’t taken in – or even remotely close to – Belfast, but in a
place defined by my Google maps as “Clonroe Lower”. Or, in MY parlance,
“The Mi...
Whatever Happened To Light and Bitter?
-
* Whatever Happened To Light and Bitter? *
This might seem like an exercise in nostalgia, and to some extent I guess
it is, but sometimes, just some...
Pilsen, Czech Republic: the home of golden lager
-
Hop on a train in Prague for an hour and a half to find yourself in the
ancient city of Plzeň, or Pilsen in English, the fourth largest city in the
Czech R...
Letting go
-
It is often difficult to accept defeat. Indeed, when one has been working
on something for a long time it can be almost impossible to actually make
that fi...
Manchester Union Lager - Launch
-
I'm early for everything. When I'm with my other half it doesn't matter so
much because he's chronically tardy, but when I'm organising a trip by
myself I'...
Beer Trends for 2018
-
It’s been a while but after a couple of months distanced from my fifty-two
beer year (although in truth I managed a lot more than 52) it’s back to the
gr...
We are taking a break
-
Dear Reader.
Due to various unforeseen circumstances, 'A Swift One' is taking a short
sabbatical. We apologise to all for the lack of content but we hope t...
should the GBBF just serve British beer?
-
*further reflections on the GBBF 2016*
In the autumn issue of CAMRA’s Beer magazine, the item of debate was
whether the GBBF should only sell British b...
TOTAL ALES HAS MOVED
-
- TOTAL ALES HAS NOW MOVED -
YOU CAN CONTINUE TO FIND GREAT BEER AND GREAT STORIES HERE:
WWW.TOTALALES.CO.UK
IF YOU KINDLY LINK TO TOTAL ALES ON YOUR...
We're crowdfunding!
-
We're raising seed capital on Seedrs, an equity crowd funding site.
Investments begin at £10 and buy equity in Blue Crow Media as we grow. We
have over 5...
Billy Childish’s Backyard
-
The weekend before last saw us back in Kent. We stayed at a Premier Inn in
Rainham near Gillingham. Our reason for being there was to visit Chatham
Dock Ya...
Read my information and links and then decide for yourself. You don't have to be Sherlock Holmes.
Comments:
These are the life blood of any blog. Please feel free to comment. I do not practice censorship if you stick to the point, but personal insults are frowned upon and may result in deletion. Anonymous entries may have the piss taken out of them or be deleted.
Disclaimer
The contents of this blog represent the personal views of the author only. They do not represent CAMRA policy in any way whatsoever.
The contents of this site and individual articles may not be reproduced in whole without the express permission of the author and will require an appropriate credit. Extracts may be reproduced with a credit to the author.
17 comments:
I could go on at length about this, and probably will do sometime.
But think: if "Running a pub was never going to make anyone very rich" then when it gets tough it'll make no living at all.
There is less money than ever being spent in pubs - that's why they are closing.
Thanks for posting the link, very interesting.
Poorly written and rambling, with some fairly obvious truths hidden in there. The story of the chap who wilfully broke his tie and was then surprised to be evicted is simply bizarre.
A bit rambling yes and there is only one winner in the Pub Co game. The guy here just made a certain loss, even more easy for the Pub Co.
The obvious truths may be obvious to you and me, but to how many others who aren't involved with this business one way or another? The Pub Cos need to be exposed as the villains they usually are.
Stonch, the article is rambling and does tackle some issues in a less than eloquent way. It's difficult reading, but your need to persevere. That's difficult to do when you are a busy licensee.
But you need to read deeper, it's the pubco's properties that are surviving, and this plays right into your argument.
Only 13% of pubs closing are owned by major pubco's.
Over 50% are freehouses.
I think that the tie does represent a problem, but it is not all evil either.
The real problem here is pubs closing. Releasing the tie won't help that. I'm not sure that anything will and that's what we might need to accept.
What a long standing lessee does when his lease is worthless is a problem. He plays the game most of the time, starts to try a bit of skulduggery ‘cause he’s got no choice, gets caught out, fair cop I agree but the pubco won’t loose. Go out in a coffin? I’m bloody sure I would!
Only 13% of pubs closing are owned by major pubco's.
Over 50% are freehouses."
I'd take these figures with a pinch of salt as clearly it isn't in their interest to accept any blame. I would be very interested in looking at any real data they could produce. Having carefully tracked pub closures locally, I can say that 100% of those closed in the last 5yrs were tied. That's not to say that freehouses can't and don't close but those are the facts.
I find this business of 50% of pubs closing are free houses a bit hard to swallow. How are these figures compiled? What constitutes a free house? If you own the bricks and mortar and can't make a good fist of it, well I am shocked, though of course some will fail.
All around here there are closed and boarded pubs. All as far as I know are all Pub Co pubs though one or two are Lees. Maybe they can still find the mugs to run them, but surely that rich seam will soon dry up - once they have milked the last out of this recession's redundancy money that is.
These figures ae fishy to me.
I think people need to back their assertions up with arguments rather than simply bashing pubcos and the tied system.
In the case of the person referred to in that article, he'd deliberarely chosen to flout his contractual obligations, so on the face of it I don't have much sympathy anyway. We have to remember that pubs are businesses. Some people aren't cut out to run their own business - it requires imagination, competence and a degree of intelligence. The unsuitability of so many publicans for the job their doing is, I think, one of the major reasons why so many pubs are going under, but it seems one no-one's willing to speak up about.
Of course some CAMRA die-hards love the idea of old retired couples running musty, quiet pubs that haven't changed since the 70s, but the rest of the population rightly avoid such badly-run establishments, so they don't make any money.
"The unsuitability of so many publicans for the job their doing is, I think, one of the major reasons why so many pubs are going under, but it seems one no-one's willing to speak up about."
Absolutely. Exactly, 100% agreed. Why do PubCos contract so many unsuitable people then? You are changing the argument here by saying CAMRA die hards etc. CAMRA people like well run pubs better than most. We are more likely to get good beer there! A lot of people, me included feel the shake out is largely happening at the bottom end of the trade and you won't find many tears for them. But it isn't just the bottom of the trade that is suffering any more. The malaise is wider and deeper and the PubCos with their hugely indebted - sorry securitised - estates, have a lot of blame for the pressure even good pubs are feeling. That debt which occurred after the Beer Orders and has been added to with each buy out and PubCo merger is still there and being repaid by publicans. Who else can pay it?
This is a complex subject but it flies in the face of reality to suggest that the companies who own such a large percentage of British pubs have no blame in this and it is all the fault of stupid people who take on pubs. Oh and CAMRA members.
"The unsuitability of so many publicans for the job their doing is, I think, one of the major reasons why so many pubs are going under, but it seems one no-one's willing to speak up about."
That may account for some but not the majority, IMO. My personal experience tells me that it is long standing landlords throwing in the towel. People who have been running successful pubs for many years. When they go under, let's not be shy about naming the culprits. As TM says it's farcical to suggest that the owners of the majority of pubs in the UK aren't responsible to some great degree.
What amazes me is the sheer inflexibilty of companies supposedly interested in making money. There are landlords locally who wish to hold beer festivals to boost their trade. Something that you would think would benefit all concerned. However, Enterprise won't allow it. And then they wonder people are sceptical about their role in the pub trade.
I agree with the Woolpack Inn's straightforward comment: "There is less money than ever being spent in pubs - that's why they are closing". So why are people spending less? I think the answers are rather obvious: beer price rises well above inflation; inflation well above wage rises; increasing job insecurity. The problems of the tie have been thoroughly covered before, but it is clear that in the present deteriorating economic climate with a recession on the way, many businesses are struggling in general, not just in the pub trade.
The mandatory sideswipe at CAMRA members doesn't explain pub closures, and I don't actually know anyone (CAMRA member or otherwise) who wants "old retired couples running musty, quiet pubs that haven't changed since the 70s". Why would anyone?
We can expect worse as the long term effects of the credit crunch filter through to the pub trade. We have already seen this with Cains, where hard-working licensees and their staff lost their livelihoods with little notice, not because they were inefficient or broke the tie, and definitely not because CAMRA members went wandering around Merseyside in search of quiet, musty pubs operating in a time warp.
..eeerrrrmmmm.
Take a look at my blog Pubs are closing, are we really that surprised? if you haven't already.
I am also suspicious about the figures, but I highlighted them to try and point out that Stonch was being, well kinda like he's accused tandleman of being on his own blog.
As for the price of beer and pub owners, I will have lots to say about this…..more coming.
Stonch, you clearly have a good city pub. Well done. But there are many not like yours. Lay off a bit eh?
Dave - Stonch makes a very important point about those who run pubs. Hospitality? Don't make me laugh. You are lucky to get a " hello" or "thanks" in most pubs, never mind an actual welcome. I'm out today and I'll report back on that aspect tomorrow to see how I've got on.
Oh and Stonch has his own way of doing things. It is all diversity in this game.
"You are lucky to get a " hello" or "thanks" in most pubs".
This is not my experience; you must be going to the wrong pubs. I'm not sure that busy bar staff have the time to give a full welcome to everyone who comes through the door to buy a pint, especially if it's 2 or 3 deep at the bar. I find most bar staff are polite at the least, and while I don't travel as far afield as you, I do get to a fair number of pubs in different towns.
Thanks Tandleman, I'm still learning to type comments, read them twice and then consider NOT hitting the "Publish your comment" button.
I guess everybody has different styles. I work best when authoring "long and rambling" posts rather than short, curt and abrupt replies.
At least Stonch keeps giving me ammunition for further posts, so I should be grateful really. Cheers Stonch!
I agree with the problems of hospitality, but you get what you pay for to some extent. If cheap beer results in the staff being paid less then they will be poorer quality staff.
"This is a complex subject but it flies in the face of reality to suggest that the companies who own such a large percentage of British pubs have no blame in this and it is all the fault of stupid people who take on pubs. Oh and CAMRA members."
Quite. Good job I said nothing of the sort, then!
To the landlord of the Woolpack Inn: I don't mean to upset you. I'm just expressing an opinion. I do recognise that other pubs are really struggling.
That's all right Jeff.
Theses are difficult times with difficult issues, you can't make a cake without breaking eggs!!
Post a Comment