Tuesday 16 September 2014

"Old" Ales



Apologies for my recent silence. A trip to Russia and the fact my house is being torn to bits by builders, has precluded me from writing.  Oh and my shoulder is still sore, thanks for asking.

The removal of a wall cabinet in what used to be my kitchen (I think) turned up these beauties.  I rather thought (OK I know) I had a bottle of Bass No1 in there too, but before I accuse the building lads of supping or breaking it, I'd need to check through a million things that have been put elsewhere. One doesn't half tend to accumulate junk over the years though. This morning I've "enjoyed" reading through old love letters from my first real girlfriend - nothing mucky at all really - to my immense disappointment and loads of stuff about the National Insurance Act of 1975, which was a big thing in er, 1975 when I worked in, wait for it, National Insurance.  I had lovely handwriting too in those days.

Anyway, a picture tells a thousand words, so without real comment, here it is.  We have a photo of some old ales which are both old and strong and some which are old and aren't old or strong, but are indeed strong and old. All are in nips.

What's in a beer name?

You can see the skip in the background.  Also have rediscovered many other bottles and glasses. Might show them soon too. Saves thinking anything up.

10 comments:

Cooking Lager said...

One mans junk is another mans treasure. This piss drinkable or will it all have turned by now?

Bailey said...

When we drank a 30-odd-year-old Adnams' Tally Ho a year or so back, we were told, after the fact, that we should have flogged it to an American for hundreds of pounds...

Tandleman said...

Cookie - Probably OK.

Ray: Feel free to make me an offer. Apart from the OB Old Tom. That's a keeper.

Matt said...

I spent a couple of years working in a National Insurance office in the 90's: married women's contributions, small earnings exemptions, share fishermen (admittedly thin on the ground in Stockport), Home Responsibilities Protection, class 4 NI, automatic and juvenile credits, deficiency notices and voluntary contributions, all great fun.

Tandleman said...

Matt: I was back in the good old days of National Insurance Cards, No Card Notices, Deficiency Notices, Marries Women's Elections of course and much more. Form CF143 was the allocator's best friend.

Phil said...

Nice old Sixex there. How old is the Imperial Russian Stout? Always thought that was a recent re-invention.

Tandleman said...

1989 Phil.

Lizard Seer said...

I drank a 1968 Barclays Courage Imperial Stout last year. Had held its flavour (presumably) but had gone a bit flat (unsurprisingly).

Neville Grundy said...

The only old bottle of beer I have, in fact the only beer in the house at present, is this bottle of Hartley's, bottled as the brewery in Ulverston closed.

Unknown said...

The barley wine reminded me of a mate of mine who went face first into his curry after a skinful of barley wine such was life in the 70's