Thursday 27 November 2014

Blowing Hot and Cold


My most recent London visit brought some warm beer to my notice. Well it would, as I was the recipient. It also brought some excellent beer.  There was some in the middle.  So dreadful was a Roosters beer in JDW Shakespeare's Head that I reported it to Cask Marque. (I must ask them what their conclusion was.)  That's one thing you can do if it has the CM accreditation, though I've reported the Brown Bear in Leman St before and the beer was still awful when I watched the football there two weeks ago. Maybe it does less good than you hope? (Apparently miscreants thus reported usually tell CM the cooling was broken that day, or someone new turned it off instead of the light - that kind of thing. CM are meant to follow up with a later visit, but I don't know if they do or not.)  Anyway and either way, I do urge those afflicted by poor beer in a Cask Marque pub to let them know. It might just help.

So to the good news.  I thought the beer in the Hop and Berry in Angel, recommended to me by Matt Curtis, was very well kept and  I was delighted by the truly top quality  I experienced in the Market Porter, a place I don't tend to go in that much, but did, as I had been let down quality wise - well temperature wise - by the usually reliable Southwark Tavern, whose beer I had praised on a warm summer's day. Sadly on a much colder Autumn one, the beer was warm, as was E's lager.  The Market Porter was heaving, but service was quick and friendly and the beer, stout in my case, was sparkled, cool and lively. A sure two pinter.

Lastly a word in praise of the Draft House in Seething Lane. The Tankovna Pilsner Urquell was delicious and at £4.75 a pint, well under the price of most local keg beers on the same bar.  I find that a bit odd.

I didn't realise they chucked out at six on a Sunday in the Draft House. Made my last pint a bit of rush. My own fault.

3 comments:

Cooking Lager said...

Cask Marque? pah. Beer Guide? meh.

What is needed, what I would trust, what has to be the only credible accreditation I would trust is "Tandleman Approved"

That's what I want to see. I'd drink owt with that kite mark on.

Stonch said...

What form would the Tandleman kitemark logo take? I suggest a short sleeved check shirt

Professor Pie-Tin said...

I had a pint of Harvey's Best in bright on this week that not only came warm but stank of rotten eggs.
" That's how it's meant to smell "said the dopey barmaid when I sent it back.
After a bit of tooing and froing she gave me a pint of something else but continued to serve Harveys to other punters.
It's crap like this that gives cask a bad name.