Wednesday 3 January 2024

What's Going On?

At this time of year, one becomes introspective. Resolutions are made and lives, intentions and hopes are re-evaluated, usually in an optimistic and entirely unrealistic way. Such thoughts equate entirely with our human need to see the best of things - to look for hope, change and better outcomes - this, despite all the evidence that a new year and promises to oneself, rarely if ever change the probable and probably inevitable course of events. It is all pretty hopeless in that sense, but then again, we live in hope. It is the meaning of life to a very great extent.

Thus, I won't be making impractical promises about this blog, though my own promise to myself is that I'll try to write more, but I'll likely fail. Instead, to make it easier on myself, I'm looking to write more about things that might interest me. And guess what? It is, funnily enough, going to be beer and pubs, so that's all right, isn't it?  I know a bit about them.

Last year, having wasted many mornings of my life watching YouTube -  though almost never about beer - I definitely need to pack that in.  I have though watched from time to time, usually shouting at the telly in sheer disbelief, the inane Real Ale Craft Beer Channel, and I have also learned a lot of useless stuff - mostly about London Underground (fascinating) - the differences (many) between us and these goddam Yankees - and where to get the best cooked brekkie in London. (Widely thought to be Pellicci's - been there - but it would almost certainly be cheaper at the Ivy, though you won't get bubble there).   And so on.  So it is back to beer.

So what has been happening? Well things are still iffy in the industry to be frank, though maybe they could be worse.  I note record turnover from my local brewery JW Lees and that's good. Lees continue to invest heavily in their business and it shows. They deserve to do well, by and large. I see also Fullers and Youngs are doing well, so that's good, though London, as always is a different animal to the rest of the UK.  Sir Timbo deserves a mention, and I'm grateful for this piece being pointed out by Cookie. It is rather well written and mentions the obvious fact - often overlooked - that he started off with one pub and now has over 800. If you believe in honours lists, it would seem to me that he deserves it, and as Mudgie always points out, it is a dependable company in an industry that isn't very dependable as a whole, and one where there is that oft talked about, but usually missing, social mix. Incidentally, making alcoholic drinks and pub visits affordable isn't "wrong" if you want to see pubs succeed.  Again from Cookie is a similar piece from the Guardian.

I'll leave it there for now.  The blog will certainly be back a little more often, and I'll be returning to short sharp posts like I used to. I've been reading a lot of my previous stuff, and you know, it isn't that bad. I recommend particularly my stuff on Sam Smiths, and I'll be resuming my trek round the ones here and those I visit in London. I'll also tackle the issue of what might be called "opening hours deficit".  I note quite a few pubs here, have simply closed for parts of January, and while understandable, it isn't really a healthy sign.

So. Watch this space, and Happy New Year to you all.

"Let me say, for the benefit of those who have allowed themselves to be carried away by the gossip of the past few days, I know what is going on. I am going on."  Harold Wilson 1969

Best beer of 2023? Acorn Gorlovka Stout.

6 comments:

retiredmartin said...

Welcome back, and I agree you've created a library of really interesting articles over the years. I note that Leon found your Sam Smiths posts really useful on his Rochdale crawl at the weekend.

Short posts are the way to go.

Cooking Lager said...

more sparkler stuff and slagging off murk. that's the way to go.

Paul Bailey said...

Good to see you back, TM, and looking forward to reading more of your posts about developments in the world of beer and pubs, and how they impact on the rest of us.

Btw, YouTube can be very distracting especially if, like me you are interested in history, or what makes things work.

Professor Pie-Tin said...



I'm not one for resolutions either but on Boxing Day I decided to give up my lifelong habit of smoking marijuana.
Mary Jane has been a wonderful companion through decades of hard work, long hours, huge financial risk-taking and subsequent reward that has propelled me into a very comfortable retirement.
But now as the big Seven O encompasses me in its shadow the fear of the coffin has overtaken the coughing that greeted the first hour of every day.
As we shared my last spliff together my sons raised a glass of Scottish firewater and started sending me links on vaping cannabis oil. The bastards.
Now, ten days later, the bellows have stopped wheezing and I start the day with just a gentle throat-clearer.
The downside, however, is rampant insomnia coupled with irritability through tiredness and an inability to just chill the fuck out as my wife keeps telling me.
It'll pass, of course, as it did whenever we travelled to countries with strict anti-drug laws.
But my, does the world feel like a duller place.
Trying to combine this with Dry January would have me booking a cab to Beachy Head.
I could try baking with the stuff I suppose but memories of the world's worst mong session after consuming some hash brownies in my 20s has put me off swallowing any form of illegal stimulant for life.
Just thinking about it brings me out in a sweat.
Jesus, is it only 6am ?
And I've been awake since 2.30am.
It's going to be a long day.
Happy New Year ! 😂

Alan Southen said...

I presume the Harold Wilson photo is a reference to his answer to the question "whats going on'
I'm going on

Anonymous said...

Alan - I fear you may have missed the penultimate sentence.