Thursday 29 March 2012

I've Changed


And so have some of you fellow bloggers out there. It was only when reading Pub Curmudgeon's blog that I noticed he was now "http://pubcurmudgeon.blogspot.co.uk/" not "www.pubcurmudgeon.com". Wondering why, I didn't at first twig that I had been changed too. I had noticed that the quick edit pencil had disappeared a couple of weeks ago, but assumed it was a quirk. No that has changed too. The sinister reason for the domain change it seems, is to make it easier for Google to enforce censorship laws in specific countries. Great stuff eh?

There is a nice blog on the subject here. I am still trying to work out what difference if any it will make to me, but since they didn't tell me about it, I must assume that their reasons for not doing so, are ones that they guess in advance I won't like.

A big shout out to Girl Does Geek

Might think of moving my blog. Google are too omnipresent. But where and how given the trouble Boak and Bailey have had?

18 comments:

Curmudgeon said...

If you type in:

tandlemanbeerblog.blogspot.com/ncr

you will get the edit pencil back (and the tool to edit stuff in the sidebar)

The Beer Nut said...

You're still .com here. Nothing to fear from our censorship laws then. Yeah right.

Tandleman said...

Mudgie: It works.

BN: Odd

The Beer Nut said...

As I understand it, your address depends on where the reader is, so my blog probably shows up as .co.uk on your machine too. You will eventually be .ie to me, but Google haven't implemented the system here yet, it seems.

Tandleman said...

http://thebeernut.blogspot.co.uk/ Yep.

The Beer Nut said...

Big Dave can sleep easy in the knowledge he can just switch me off in the UK with just a phonecall to Palo Alto.

Alan said...

You look like you are in Canada to me now. Dot See Aye!

Phil said...

Wordpress suits me fine.

Rob Sterowski said...

I don't like it either. Seems very parochial to get redirected to a "local" domain, even when you type in .com.

Sat In A Pub said...

Blogger isn't the fun place it used to be in the good old days. Too many changes for the worse, but as you say, what to do about it and where to go? The pub for starters, I think...

faye said...

Thanks for the mention :) I've posted a way to make it go back to .com for a lot of countries (not all as the code would be a whole page long).

I would advise moving to wordpress though, its what I use and its fab!If you use GA then this change could detrimentally affect your stats.

Kieran Haslett-Moore said...

Yep your all down under to me.

I wonder if that means your sites count as local traffic for internet plans that make such distinction.

beersiveknown said...

I don't like that the subscribe to comments function seems to have disappeared on half of the blogger sites i visit

Barry M said...

I didn't like the fact my blogs became blogspot.de, but hadn't realised it was the same for all blogspot blogs I was looking at. Now I see http://tandlemanbeerblog.blogspot.de/

I thought you'd moved for a moment :)

Curmudgeon said...

There's a rather ominous message at the top of the dashboard saying "Blogger is getting a new look in April." No doubt that will screw it up even more...

Neville Grundy said...

I hadn't noticed this either. I prefer '.com', as it doesn't have the royalist implications of '.uk', but I'm not really all that bothered.

Curmudgeon's 'ncr' trick doesn't work for me.

Baron Orm said...

It looks like if you have a custom domain like I do http://www.theormskirkbaron.com set up then they can't do anything about it and so my domain stays .com.

Can anyone outside of the UK verify that my blog address is still http://www.theormskirkbaron.com?

Curmudgeon said...

The edit pencil and the facility to subscribe to comments now seem to have reappeared.