Wednesday 23 January 2008

Duvel to the Rescue?


It seems that Duvel-Moortgat has made a bid for some of the assets of the bankrupt speciality brewer Liefmans. They aim to continue to brew the beers temporarily under supervision of the administrator, though they have admitted there are other bids.

This report was filed by Reuters, but it doesn't indicate who the counter bidders are, nor does it say what assets are bid for. I certainly hope if they are successful, that they will continue to maintain both brand quality and as importantly, brand integrity. Liefmans are a good little company. I was lucky enough to tour it some years ago. I wish them luck. Duvel are a good company too. I also toured them on the same trip and remember the kindness shown to us. They seem a good fit in the circumstances. I reckon in this case, better the Duvel we know!

By the way, the word "duvel" is Flemish for "devil" and is pronounced "doovle", (with the emphasis on the "doo" part) never "dovelle" or doovelle"! This is made very clear to you at the brewery.

3 comments:

Dubbel said...

Good news if this turns out to be the case.

On the subject of pronounciation, can anyone confirm the correct way to pronounce the Scottish brewer Harviestoun? I find myself trailing off at the end so as not to sound stupid and it has recently been the subject of great debate amongst our group.

Tandleman said...

As a Scot, I reckon I can help you out:
It is Harveystoon with not too much emphasis on the "oo" So a short finish.

Dubbel said...

Tremendous, thanks for that. Fortunately I had been guessing correctly.