Thursday 24 January 2008

Smooth Still Doesn't Cut It


I have mentioned before that my quiz league endeavours take me to various Sam' Smiths pubs in my area. Last night it was the Bay Horse in Royton, Oldham. This is a neat little pub with one main and one side room and a cheery bunch of regulars. It also had one of the fittest barmaids I've seen in a long time. It was struggle to look away. Good job we were in a side room and I couldn't see her, or my puny contribution to victory would have been even less! But I digress.

The beer was all keg or should I say all mixed gas dispense. A row of electrically lit little boxes lined the bar. To me a pub isn't a proper pub without a handpump or two. It just does not look right. In these situations I usually drink Dark Mild as it is the least offensive when done this way. Sam's Dark Mild is 3% and is a good beer underneath the dodgy dispense. It had decent malt, a touch of roastiness, a hint of hops. The recipe was for a classic dark mild. It was served far too cold and while at first it seemed OK, the dread hand of pasteurisation gave it an unappealing cardboard edge. It was a mere £1.11, yes, £1.11 a pint!

So come on Sam's. If you don't want to sell cask mild, that's up to you, but surely you don't need to boil the heart out of the beer and serve it at such low temperatures?

9 comments:

The Beer Nut said...

"a pub isn't a proper pub without a handpump or two"
Chortle. In my country there are, therefore, four pubs. Don't tell the Tourist Board.

Tandleman said...

I guess I should have qualified that by saying an "English pub" etc.

Anonymous said...

I think you were right the first time. Without a handpump a pub isn't a "proper" pub. That includes Ireland.

Anonymous said...

Yes you were most certainly right first time. Any pub any where without real ale isn't a pub it's a bar.

Sat In A Pub said...

The important bit here is the fit barmaid. Unfortunately, no picture of her, only a keg font. Disappointing!

Tandleman said...

You didn't see the big bugger who was keeping an eye on her!

Kieran Haslett-Moore said...

mixed gas, shudder.

Anonymous said...

"Smooth Still Doesn't Cut It"

Well, yes. The world is still round too.

Anonymous said...

So where is this Bay Horse pub in Royton, I need to go and spend £1.11 so I can see the barmaid. I think you probably mean Failsworth which is almost the other side of the world.