Tuesday 29 January 2008

Lees Cask Committment


JW Lees is my local brewer, so I declare an interest. I love the company and I love the beer! The mild (OK now Brewer's Dark) is superb and the bitter, when on form, can make you dangerously reckless in consuming it.

I was made aware of their new beer range some some time ago, but the Morning Advertiser has caught up. Unfortunately, to anyone who reads the article, it will soon be obvious that the headline and the text do not match up. The headline talks about new beers, while the article refers to old ones! I do hope it wasn't Lees that supplied this rubbish. I have chipped in with a comment to correct the article. What is more important though is what William Lees-Jones, the MD said;

“We want to offer pubs variety and exciting new beers that will keep customers returning.There are traditional ale drinkers that find a beer they like and stick to it but there are also those that like trying something new. By adding to our permanent offering, whilst introducing the new seasonal products, we can cater for both types of drinker."

"Cask beer is a big area of focus for us in 2008, this is the one area in which supermarkets simply can’t compete as the products cannot be replicated in supermarkets due to the beer being cask conditioned.”

Good for you William and well said. Let's have traditional family brewers out there shouting that cask is best from the rooftops and providing a range that get the punters flocking in.

For the record Lees will offer a range of five permanent cask ales and another eight, two at a time throughout the year. Let's hope they are exciting beers that people want to drink. I'll let you know!

Lees was founded in 1828 by John Willie Lees. Today management falls to the sixth generation descendants of John Lees, including managing director William Lees-Jones.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is good news. I've always wanted to try *any* of Lees beers, but have never had any luck finding them. Mmmmmm. Mild.

jefffrane said...

Pints of the bitter and mild served us last April at the Tandle Hill were just about the most perfect beers I've ever had. As far as I'm concerned, they never have to brew anything "exciting" as long as they have those on offer.

Ale Louse said...

Enjoyed a seriously good session on the Lees (bitter, mild & the plum stuff) last Saturday lunchtime in Oldham (Rifle Range) and was surprised how much I enjoyed all three. It's not something we see at all this side of the hills of course, but one thing that would take some getting used to are those ridiculous glasses with the hand-print in them! At first I thought these were something the pub had initiated for less than dextrous Latics fans until I noticed JW Lees name embossed on the rim. They are the ugliest beer glasses of all time - surely it isn't mandatory to drink this fine beer from these monstrosities is it?!

Tandleman said...

Ah. The "Get a Grip Glass". I agree it's a total monstrosity, but they are inordinately proud of it. Some might say "Get a Grip!" The old glasses were fine. My local FWIW refuses to use them!

Erlangernick said...

Am I missing something, or is the Mild not listed in their lineup, from what I can make of the Lees webbie? Or is that the Darkman or whatever-it-is?

FWIW, while one or two other really hoppy, pale, and dry bitters were better, Lees Bitter is what I regret not having drunk more of whilst I was there last summer. (WITHOUT the silly fad nitro-effect-simulating plastic doohicky on the swanneck, of course!) Certainly the most interesting Bitter I found in Manc. May very well also be the best next time.

Tandleman said...

Nick - Lees GB Mild is safe. Don't worry. It has been re-named Brewer's Dark, but is exactly the same recipe. Just a name change. For the moment though, most if not all, have not yet had the new pump clips. Read my eulogy here:http://tandlemanbeerblog.blogspot.com/2007/12/lees-gb-mild.html

And isn't it time Becky visited her staff again?

Erlangernick said...

Not without my coming along, it ain't!

Sat In A Pub said...

I see they have taken over a pub near me-I shall have to check it out. Whilst on the subject, what is the difference between Greengate Smooth and Best Bitter Extra Smooth? They appear to be exactly the same.

Tandleman said...

Different beers, different strength. Check out Lees website

Anonymous said...

I believe you, but according to Lees website they are both 3.9%. Thats where I got my information!