Monday 27 April 2009

Glasses


Yesterday we took a short stroll to the Highway to watch some of the marathon. Huge crowds greeted the red faced and clearly knackered section of runners we observed - the elite having finished hours ago were probably on a training run by then. We had to walk a fair way east before an underpass allowed us to cross the road and head down to Wapping High St. The Prospect of Whitby was straight ahead, so we popped in. The guest beer wasn't brown. It was golden. Hooray. It was also off, as in not available. Boo. GKIPA, Abbot or London Pride? I had the LP which tasted of little, but wasn't as sweet as it sometimes is. It was though in very good condition and at a cool temperature. No cellar skill problems here.

Our next stop was the keg only Captain Kydd. Sam Smith owned, with fine views across the river. I quite like it here and drink the wheat beer, while E drinks Pure Brewed Lager. Only problem - the glasses. I asked for a proper wheat beer glass, but was told they'd mostly been stolen. Hmm. The nonic pints and halves did nothing for either beer.

Maybe they could do a deposit system like Germany for the nice glasses, or, like some Dutch pubs, make the purchaser hand over one of their shoes? Given the fact the customers are a pretty affluent (though thieving) lot, I'd guess their footwear is worth more than a glass? It would certainly be a talking point and maybe give me a decent glass to drink out of.

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Some people are of the opinion that the glass makes no difference to the beer. I don't agree, drinking is all about the whole experience and the glass is part of that.

However, it can be difficult to maintain a good range of glasses especially as some customers do steal them. You can imagine the offensive nouns I might use to describe such people.

Neville Grundy said...

In my student days, I found that if you liked a glass and asked the licensee if you could buy it, they usually gave it to you. Politeness was appreciated, and Woolpack Dave-style nouns avoided! But nowadays, with cupboards full of beer festival glasses, I've got more than enough. I have been in a pub fairly recently in the North West that asked for a deposit on posh glasses, but can't remember where it was.

Erlangernick said...

I'm of the opinion that "proper" glassware can be highly overrated. If a Franconian brewer tells me to drink his Kellerbier from a Steinkrug, who am I to insist on a glass glass?

Weizen from a pint glass though--I'll have to try that.

Deposits on glassware in Krautley aren't universal, of course. I even left my bike unlocked at two different Bierkeller(s) today! (In the country--and in Buttenheim, mind; in Bamberg, with all the Yanks and tourists though--forget it.)

So how was the special, cask-conditioned St. Georgen Bräu Kellerbier compared to the fizzy, factory-brewed stuff one normally gets at the actual Buttenheimer Bierkeller? More importantly, why can't they brew that for local consumption?

Bailey said...

I usually ask to buy glasses if I like them and it usually works. I sometimes suspect the bar staff are pocketing the cash and telling the landlord the glass got broken, though...

I like Sam Smith's lager and wheat beer, but they really don't taste as good from a scratched old nonic.

jocko said...

I refuse to drink wheat beer unless it is served in a nice glass.The Sam Smiths glasses are particularly nice they are origonally Ayinger glasses.

Paul Garrard said...

I had curry tonight and I'm afraid I had my wheat beer in a nonik - sorry to let the side down!

I do agree though the glass does add to the experience and I don't think I'd object to paying a deposit on the glass.

Rob Sterowski said...

A slightly scratched old nonic is a classic drinking vessel, nicer than a brand new one. No to wheat beer in them, though.

I don't object to branded glasses, but what I really hate is being served a pint in a glass bearing the logo of something completely different.

Tandleman said...

The nonic should be binned in my view. Its day has gone. I agree with your second paragraph completely.

Neville Grundy said...

I'm not bothered if the glass has the wrong logo on, except when it's for lager or smoothflow.

Tandleman said...

That makes you bothered! (-;