Thursday 28 January 2010

Buying Out


I was out very briefly last night in a tied house of a well known brewer. I won't in this case name names, except to say, it wasn't a Lees house. They read this of course.

Surveying the pumps I saw nothing but smooth and a couple of handpumps without clips on them. The landlord, as it turned out was sat on the customer side of the bar watching a repeat of Midsomer Murders, God help him. He spotted me scanning things and asked what I was looking for. I said I was checking what was on and he then asked me what I usually drink. "Cask" quoth I. "Well" he said conspiratorially, "we have Bombardier on now and Black Sheep coming on." I pleaded driving, which was true and left.

Now I have seen this kind of thing a few times before, but rarely in brewery tied pubs. I have to say I was rather astonished. It isn't as if this brewer doesn't supply cask, but clearly not at either the right price or the right taste.

Either way it is a sign of the times and not a good one.

1 comment:

Paul Garrard said...

Not a good sign indeed.