Wednesday 14 August 2013

The Great British Beer Festival


Yes folks, it's that time of year again when the great and the good congregate in London for CAMRA's biggest thrash. Tuesday is trade day where, people like me, while nominally working - well actually I did a fair bit this year - greet and schmooze and say hello to those from the trade that we know. It's rather nice actually, but I did get an impression that there were some faces missing yesterday and it was a little subdued. Maybe just me, but I'm sure that'll soon change.

 Pete Brown has published a handy survival guide and I agree with most of it. In particular, it really is difficult not to overfill thirds, so I would agree that it is a top tip, but never from me you understand. I never overfill, so if at the German bar, and you are hoping for an overmeasure,avoid me like the plague. Another tip Pete didn't mention is to ask for tasters. That's acceptable everywhere, but don't overdo it as a "Bugger off elsewhere or buy something" often offends.

 My tip for foreign beers this year is to suss out some of the Czech exotics on draught. There are good things happening in the Czech Republic beer wise and some of it is on show at our bar.

Do come and say hello.

5 comments:

Cooking Lager said...

As a volunteer, how pissed up can you get for nowt and how easy is it to skive?

John B said...

Peter,
I'm in Prague at the end of the month so I'd appreciate some tips on breweries to look out for. Thanks.

Neville Grundy said...

The last GBBF I worked at was in Leeds in the late 1980s. I expect it's quite different now.

Paul Bailey said...

I'll pop over and say hello tomorrow, Peter.

Baseball Hats said...

I am truly delighted to read this post regarding The Great British Beer Festival,which contains plenty of helpful facts, thanks for providing these data. Great article, exactly what I needed.