Sunday 2 August 2009

Strawberry Beer


In replies to the post below, Phoenix Strawberry Beer was mentioned. Tony Allen of Phoenix revealed this beer to some of us who were at his brewery in July. It was made from both strawberry pulp and strawberry juice and a base pale beer. It was thick and luscious when sampled straight from the cask, though the trade version is kegged and gassed. The cask version was a delight and I've now tasted the keg version at the New Oxford. This had lost some of the sweetness and taken on a distinct Belgian fruit beer edge. It was lovely too. Tony plans another couple of fruit beers, depending on how the strawberry one goes. Judging by the reaction so far, he might have to make a habit of it.

The photo shows my lovely lass, Eileen, with Tony and the beer.

9 comments:

Mark Dredge said...

I've heard good things about this one already. I don't mind the odd fruit beer, unless it's syrupy like Fruli then anything more than a half is beyond me.

Tandleman said...

Heard? Good, but how so and from whom?

The key in fruit beers is to avoid sickliness. Fruki doesn't.

Unknown said...

I had a Strawberry beer last night. It was thick but quite sour. It was one of Foxfield's experiments. Pale base beer put into a cask with strawberry pulp, I think. Interesting, but I'm not convinced it worked.

Mark Dredge said...

I heard in tweets from Reluctant Scooper.

Fruli is sticky and sickly and I don't enjoy it. If this is light and fruity then great!

Unknown said...

Mmmmmm, strawberry beer :-)

Leigh said...

nice to see this. I'm partial to strawb beer and Fruli does get a bit dull after a while. Interesting to see it's based on Pale Ale, rather than Wit, too. Will keep an eye out.

John Clarke said...

I think Tandleman is rhapsodising about this a bit too much. Brewer Tony Allen tells me that it is meant to compete with Fruli and I have to say it is pretty similar. Fruli, by the way, has been voted "World's Best Fruit Beer" in the 2009 World Beer Awards run by Beers of the World magazine (which has now ceased publication).

Tandleman said...

It was lovely stuff in cask. I only had a taster of the keg version though.

Paul Bailey said...

My Missus is also called Eileen. She doesn't care much for beer though!