Wednesday 2 January 2013

Silly Me


I don't like to start the New Year on a negative note, but it is the blogger's lot to speak as you find.
I was in a local Lees Managed House over the festive period and keen to try Lees Christmas Seasonal, Plum Pudding, I ordered a pint.  The young barmaid waited while the manager was using the handpump.  There was a pint of Plum Pudding sitting at the side.  The manager said to her colleague "You can have this."  I immediately said that I would prefer not to have the last pint poured out of a cask - I assumed she was changing the barrel - and said so.  The manager assured me it was not the last pint, but that there had been a problem with the connection and this one was fine. 

Now as I am fairly well known in a lot of Lees houses (though not to the manager in this case), I dislike such situations. Someone is bound to say "I see the local CAMRA Bod is in complaining about the beer."  So I reluctantly accepted the pint, which wasn't great, but not bad.  My second pint was terrific though; sparkling, clean and delicious. Night and day.  I knew then I had been "had". Serves me right. I had my doubts and should have stood my ground, but for mixed, or maybe mixed up, reasons I didn't. But I don't like being served beer that on the evidence available to me, was known by the manager to be less than optimal. Cask beer should never be served where there is a doubt as to quality.

It won't be that way next time when I have my doubts.  My first New Year's Resolution!

Happy New Year to all my readers.  Have a great 2013.

10 comments:

Cooking Lager said...

That's more than a cask gamble, a pint that has been standing? Even I would know enough to say "You are having a laugh, pal, I'd like fresh one", and I am pig ignorant. You, a beer god, accepting such shoddyness? I can only assume it was an off day for yourself as much as the ale.

Tandleman said...

Couldn't agree more. I heard this voice which turned out to be mine saying a reluctant OK.

An off day indeed and me being daft. Ho hum.

Professor Pie-Tin said...

There are some days,old cock, when you just have to walk the walk instead of blogging the blog.

Keyboard warriors are two a penny in this game.

More importantly, the whole idea of a fruit beer doesn't appeal to a hard nut like me.

Although I can see Cookie - who no doubt likes a slice of lemon in his long-neck - enjoying it.

Tandleman said...

Well Prof Tie Pin I rmght be many things, but two a penny? Nah.

Paul Bailey said...

Time to name and shame?

Erlangernick said...

Is it just me, or does plum not sound like an optimal choice of fruit for a beer? I mean, they're a bit mild.

What's the beer like otherwise -- dark, rich, chocolatey? Pale & hoppy?

Anonymous said...

plum flavored

Cooking Lager said...

Whose plums? Tandys?

Anonymous said...

I think the admin of this website is actually working hard in support
of his web site, since here every data is quality based material.
My web blog : Huge adult dating models

Curmudgeon said...

I've experienced that once or twice and it never seems like a good idea - but it can be hard to refuse without appearing stroppy. I was once given about three-quarters of a pint, with appropriate discount, in a plainly struggling and now demolished pub.