Wednesday 3 September 2008

The Rifle Range

I was at the Rifle Range last night. This is very decent local, its kind being the very backbone of Lees estate. It has recently been done up as part of Lees community local refurbishment programme, which has seen quite a few of Lees local, rather than flagship, pubs getting a makeover. The architect has moved the bar to make better use of space and overall the pub just looks splendid. Lees Brewer's Dark and Bitter were on handpump and in good form. With a welcoming and pleasant young barmaid serving and good natured locals thrown in, it was a joy to be there.

We read these days of pubs not doing well, but the simple pleasures of the true local never wane. They are still serving their communities as they always have done. OK it probably won't be Lees, but seek yours out. It will be there somewhere.

The Rifle Range is at the Boundary Park end of Burnley Lane, Chadderton, Oldham and is very handy indeed for those visiting Oldham Athletic's Boundary Park, though you may have to knock the back door to get in on match days!


7 comments:

Stonch said...

"a welcoming and delightful young lady"

I hope you appreciate that that makes you sound about 172!

Tandleman said...

I am about 172!

Tandleman said...

But I take your point. I've tried an amendment but that'll probably make it worse.

Ale Louse said...

Ah the Rifle Range - a very enjoyable few pints last time but please tell me they've done away with THAT GLASS!

Tandleman said...

'fraid not, but otherwise........

Neville Grundy said...

"A welcoming and delightful young lady" ~ this could be a line from one of our more bawdy folk songs.

I realised too late on a previous blog I had referred to a "cycling English real ale drinker". I'm amazed I didn't get my head off for using the word "English"!

Tandleman said...

As well as being 172, I'm OK with English and don't even notice when I'm called it.I'm probably as near English as dammit these days! OK - Dual nationality then?